Wednesday, January 19, 2011

chlorinatoring at clinic and flossing

Hi Everyone

We were up early today the last day of our mission trip. Early to the clinic across the Kipkaren River--literally crossing the river finding the strategically placed rocks to step. This is the first time I have not anointed myself with the Rivers of Kenya. The first time I crossed and slipped in up to my ankles. I cursed myself and said how do they expect me to work with wet feet and shoes. Of course, once at the clinic--all the people waiting to be seen. I chited myself--these people had walked miles what was I complaining about. We began to see patients until the generator ran out of gas!!
Much has changed here. No running water no electricity when I did my first mission trip. The outdoor squatty potty was a barely a mud structure with a leaning door that did not close--luckily when it was hot. And a hole in the ground. Last year the "squatty potty" became a cement structure with a hole. Much more manageable, but ask Carla M. about her experience when she came in 2009:) To day I saw patients along side Julius and was able to walk in a wash my hands. In addition, they were able to convert the closet into a flushing toilet:0 Oh happy day!!
Now with the water chlorinated--the dentist and the maternity ward and the medical and optometry are safer for their patients and themselves.
After we had lunch--the whole team broke out and flossed!! In honor of Dr. Bessler!! Juli the director of the Living Room had to confess it is the first time she has ever floss with a team and she has lived here 9 years! It is a first of still many!!
This afternoon the water was hooked up and the chlorinator was running like a champ. But we weren't without excitement. We could not get the pressure in the system. So I called Carol at 1:15am--Thank you Carol for taking my call and tripping over the furniture to get John Hays' number. I called John shortly afterword. Sorry but this was our last day and thing were getting hairy. Besides it was only 11:30am for us.....I missed dialed--sorry goes out to the lady who was extremely kind to me on the phone with a wrong number...I apoloigised but John was eager to help. Told us how to build up pressure in the line. Half the team was late for Hut visits so off they went. Jims and I stayed behind--the jeep with the team wasn't gone 10-15 seconds --we had pressure we had water--chlorinated!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment