Thursday, January 13, 2011

Settling in the Mayfield Hostel

Wow, our adventure has been wonderful so far. Smooth and relaxed. I am very grateful.

Even the trek through customs and immigration was without problems here in Nairobi, Kenya. A gentleman in uniform was checking out our 28 parcels and plastic bins of supplies, wondering what we were doing with it. He watched the team piece by piece pulling more bins from the luggage belt and dropping them off in the corner. I pointed to the handsome man with the white hair: "That's my dad!" I told him. He commented: "Strong man...your mother must be even stronger!"
No worries, though. When Dr. Fitzgerald reassured him we were there with medical supplies: "We are eye doctors," she said. He waved us through. I love the instant promotion--can I start giving exams now?! Thanks, doc :)

Just took one of the best showers in my life, and settling in at the Mayfield Hostel ( aka summer camp luxury stay) in Nairobi for the next 4 hours--until we're up to hit the airport for the final leg.
The team is really an awesome group of people, each with their own special talents. I am really excited to meet the villagers and all the wonderful people I have heard about in Kipkaren tomorrow morning.

Cheers to you all!

Lauren Chalupsky-Cannon

No comments:

Post a Comment