Monday, January 17, 2011

Quilting a Huge Success

The first day of quilting was awesome. Tomorrow we are offering a second morning of instruction. We met in the church which has dirt floors and mud walls and also is still under construction. So on top of the language barrier, I had to contend with all sorts of banging and building noises. But I learned the Swahili words for for needle, thread, sew and square. The word row was far better understood than column. Three quilts were completed and donated to the Living Room which is the hospit care center near the church. All three were mizura-sana which means very good or beautiful.

Total attendance was 44 women from the village, three babies and two lizards. Tomorrow we will probably see some new faces and many of the women from today are coming back to work on their own quilts. Walking home late afternoon we found three women under a tree working on their bright colored quilts. Everyone is so proud of their handy work and so thankful for the material.

I must move on now. Showers are few and far between and my number has just been called.

Quilts in the morning and chlorinators in the afternoonb.

Love to all those stateside.

Momma Mazzu
AKA Queen Bee of the Quilts

2 comments:

  1. How very wonderful! It is so good to hear that the ladies enjoyed the time and made beautiful quilts. More tomorrow. OUTSTANDING! Is there nothing that this TEAM is NOT doing??? Way to go everyone. All my love!

    Sue
    ps. sorry I missed your call, Bug. I was at the UI Women's basketball game. (we won!). :-) Posted at 12:15PM, Monday. I think it is 9:15PM Monday night for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, could the lizards stitch? Sounds like you didn't need em anyway. I can imagine those quilts on those laps under those trees (tho I cannot imagine no rain as there won't BE any rain in Africa, right?). Anyway, FYI, my just-b4-bedtime treat is to read what you all have done with the day & be proud. Well done!! Smooches from Shoreline --

    ReplyDelete