Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Jambo

That means "hello". Today is the last of our time here in Kipkaren. Many of the villagers turned out for a celebration, complete with signing. There were tears all around as we said our last goodbyes to the people who were our families for the last week. I have learned so much from them yet they are the ones that keep thanking me.

This morning started early with meeting at 7am for final connection of the chlorine injector. We had some minor problems but between Jen and a couple of really smart Kenyans, we managed to work all of the kinks out. I went on a couple of welfare checks today into the poorest of poor areas. The clinic works with several patience with AIDs and they check on them every few days. They have nothing in the way of possessions, perhaps are not the cleanest but in most cases are somewhat healthy, thanks to the clinic that Spanda, Inc has built. There are many grandmothers raising babies and small children because so many adults have lost their lives to AIDs.

So I'm off to another part of Kenya to experience the wildlife sanctuary and take a safari. Safari in Swahili means journey, so it shall be an adventure. The exciting times but yet I am sad that I must leave these people and this community.

I hope I can share with each of you something about what makes this village so special and close to my heart. I am humbled by their friendliness and gratitude and can truly say that I am a different person than when I stumbled into the Cedar Rapids Airport a week ago to begin this journey.

So to everyone in the states, good night and I will begin new adventures tomorrow.

Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment