Monday, January 17, 2011

Sunday afternoon bumps into Monday

Hello everyone
After 3 hours of church and all I can say if all of church was this lively with singing and dancing there would be alot greater attendance:) They honored the team and it was very nice. We went to lunch and in our sunday best--I forgot other clothes--I was loading sand to wheel barrels, wheeling the wheel barrels and lastly on my hands and knees placing pavers while Jen and Sharon came up the back to level. I love work but the skirt has to go!! The comment has been they did not know that white people could work so hard. Or just to work. It comes originally with the British colony existence and the Brits would sit on the horse and bark orders. Kind of interesting.
Today was fabulous. Carolyn and Jen did an absolutely spectacular job of hosting a quilting bee. Forty-five women came for their class. As a group, they made 4 quilts in 4 hours. The quilts were presented to the LivingRoom to Juli. The women absolutely enjoyed presenting the quilts to Juli. Several of the women knew how to sew and several women did not. All of the women were given a quilt to take with them. After lunch, you could walk near the clinic, the livingRoom and on the road waiting--quilting. It was awesome!!
We had dinner with the engineer in charge of the World Bank project. Very nice man he has already been hear 3 months he is of Induan decent but I don't know if he is Kenyan.
Julius, our locally trained optometrist/optian came for me during the quilting bee and needed me to see a patient. The patient came to the clinic, he had just fallen into a thistle bush and one was lodged in his eye. I came into the clinic and he was patiently waiting. I could seee the thorn, saw point of entry but it had gone completely under the conjunctiva. Part of the problem, is I could not find the point of the thistle and in addition we did not have the best twizzers. Totally emerged in the conjuctiva and no ability to look in retina because he had a fairly advanced cataract. I had to refer him to the hospital. I felt bad, but if it penetrated the sclera it would be more difficult. No ambulance but we were able ot get a Piki Piki (motorcycle) to take him to the bus and gho to the hospital. I did not want to get into something and then be unable to shore it up. The conjuctiva is very vascular and if I had used a 25 gauge needle and tease it out, there would have been alot of blood. Bummer--but I am sure we got him good care. We paid for his transportation and the clinic call. His employer will reimburse him and he will pay the clinic in Chibyiwa. I started him on Vigamox that we brought in and that was helping with some of the inflammation.

1 comment:

  1. Fitz~
    Thank you for giving so much of yourself to help Kenya and the TEAM have such a grand experience. Awesome! We are all smiles here reading your BLOG and hearing from the TEAM. Thank you all for giving so much! Your work has already impacted so many people. God Bless each and every one of you and the beautiful people there!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete